Welcome to Brighton's Best Option for Maternity Care!
Services range from routine to the most advanced treatment of complications and may include collaboration with on-site sub-specialists in high-risk obstetrics and gynecologic oncology.
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center offers women – beginning in the teenage years through menopause and beyond – the option of choosing a nurse-midwife for their gynecologic and obstetric care, including annual pelvic and breast exams, preconception counseling, prenatal care, postpartum care, and breastfeeding support.
Neonatal Care (NICU)
The level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is one of only a handful of units in Boston that provide the most advanced care and technology for premature and critically ill newborns. St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center offers world-class care for newborns through a clinical collaboration with MassGeneral Hospital for Children a nationally recognized leader in comprehensive newborn medicine. The NICU is staffed 24/7 by MassGeneral Hospital for Children physicians.
High-Risk Obstetrics and Antepartum Care
The high-risk obstetrics group (maternal fetal medicine) at St. Elizabeth's Medical Center focuses on helping women through challenging pregnancies by providing the most advanced level of specialized medical care and services.
Treatment methods include:
- Management of medical and obstetrical complications
- Maternal intensive care, including management of severe maternal medical disease, such as previous organ transplantation, lupus, cardiac disease, hypertension, or severe diabetes
- Management of multiple gestation, anomalies, intrauterine growth retardation, premature labor and delivery, previous Cesarean section, and pregnancies achieved through assisted reproductive technology
- History of mid-trimester loss, cervical incompetence and DES exposure
- Fetal blood transfusions
- Fetal therapy, including medical and surgical interventions of fetal abnormalities
In addition, St. Elizabeth's offers some of the regions most advanced prenatal diagnosis, screenings and treatments, including:
- Alpha-fetoprotein screening
- Biophysical profiles
- Doppler flow studies
- Genetic counseling
- Non-invasive screening, including PAPPA-A and NT
- Non-stress testing
- Percutaneous umbilical blood sampling (PUBS)
- Targeted (Level II) ultrasound
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center offers a team of breastfeeding experts to all mothers who deliver at the medical center. Our nursing staff and a lactation consultant are available as you begin to breastfeed, which benefits mother and baby. Ask your nurse for information about scheduling a consultation.
Tests & Procedures
Childbirth & Your Newborn
Lucy A. Bayer-Zwirello, MD
Jean Noel, MD
Zsuzsa Kovacs, MD
Isabel R. Morais, MD
Kathleen M. Lemaitre, MD