Anesthesia Residency FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions about applying to the Anesthesia Residency Program at St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center

  1. Do you accept foreign medical school graduates? Yes.
  2. Do you sponsor first time H1 visa? No.  
  3. Do you sponsor an H visa if I already have one?  No.
  4. Do you require USMLE Step I and II to get a license in Massachusetts? Yes. You are required to pass USMLE Step 1, Step 2, CK and CS to qualify for the Match.
  5. Do you have a limit on how many attempts it takes to pass the USMLEs? No
  6. Do you require USMLE Step III before starting residency or CA1 year? Yes 
  7. Do you require an indefinitely valid ECFMG certificate? Yes, for foreign medical graduates.
  8. Do you require clinical experience in the United States? Yes. (A transitional internship year or primary specialty training program in the US that is accredited by the ACGME or approved by the American Osteopathic Association that would be accepted by the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine and the hospital’s credentialing program is required).
  9. What rotations should I complete in my PGY1 year? 2 months of ICU and 1 month in the ER. 
  10. Can you help me find a preliminary position if you offer me a PGY-2 position? Yes.  We have a limited number of PGY1 positions for our residency.  We will be interviewing for these positions at the time of the residency interview.
  11. Is there a limit as to how many years between medical school graduation and starting a residency? 5 yrs.
  12. I have a license from another state; do I need a Massachusetts license before starting your residency program? Yes.
  13. How long does it take to get a license in Massachusetts? Two to three months minimum, if there are no problems with your license application.  
  14. How many letters of recommendation do you require? Three.
  15. Do you accept graduates from osteopathic medical schools? Yes. 
  16. Do you accept COMLEX? No, only USMLE.
  17. Do I need a car? Yes, you need a car. Even if you live within walking distance of St. Elizabeth’s, you will be required to do rotations at other hospitals.
  18. Do you offer observerships? No.
  19. I am an international medical student; how do I apply to do an elective rotation in your department? You must apply through Tufts University School of Medicine, Registrar’s Office: 617-636-0354 or visit their website
  20. I am an osteopathic student; how do I apply to do an elective rotation in your department? We cannot accept students for rotations unless there is a contract between your school and St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center.